Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Why meditate?

Have you ever tried to concentrate on something like reading, praying or listening to a speaker, but just couldn't do it? Did your mind keep going back to what you did yesterday or what you're going to do tomorrow?

Well I sure have! I have all the symptoms of ADD...so...yeah.
Even if we can concentrate on tasks, our subconscious is always busy playing tapes all the way back from childhood. Over and over again. Some good, and some not so good. It's where our self doubt and fears live, as well as the "natural man"  And it takes up a really big part of our brain too. We try to shut it out. We try to think positive, but that only works on the conscious part of our brain. What we really need to do is quiet our mind in order to get the good positive stuff into that subconscious.

Once it's quiet, we can use our imagination, to fix bad tapes and to really concentrate on what we want to do.

I used to have a really hard time keeping my focus during scripture study and prayer. My mind would always wander. Now I do my meditation before and it's amazing how much more I get out of this time! It may seem like just one more thing to add to your morning "to do" list, but if you do this one thing, it will make the rest of your day much more productive.

Your imagination is very powerful when you learn how to use it!
 It can drastically improve your mental AND physical health, plus it gets your "Chi" flowing, which is a GOOD thing;-)

I could go on and on, but instead, I will give you some great links from people who know more than me and are better at explaining it.
Here are a couple of articles on meditation explained for Mormons.
This one is from LDS living, and this one from Seedpod.
Happy meditating!

No comments:

Post a Comment